Our standalone software licenses are single-user licenses that each come with their own hardware security key (USB dongle). After installation, simply plug in the hardware security key in an available USB port to start working with the software.
The software can be installed on any computer running Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 (see the BIONUMERICS system requirements for more details) but you can only work with the software on the computer where the security key is inserted. If you want to work with the software on another computer, you just need to attach the key to this computer.
Network licensing solutions
Our advanced network licensing solutions are available for BIONUMERICS and BioNumerics Server.
Our network licensing solutions are compatible with any Windows network in combination with Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. The server may be any Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 computer in the network (32-bit or 64-bit) or a server computer running Windows Server 2012 R2, 2016 or 2019. The client computers, i.e. machines that run the application software, need to be located within the same Domain. All client-server communication is based on HTTP.
The server computer has either the security key inserted or the software based protection key installed (see below) and runs the NetKey+ server program, which in turn manages the software licenses. All computers connected to the network can have the application software installed, but only the number allowed by the license limit is able to run the software simultaneously. If the license limit is reached, a license becomes available as soon as the application is closed on one computer.
- License grants: Each computer in the network can be granted or refused access to the application software by the server program. The server can disconnect a client if needed.
- Access-rule based client management: Allow/deny rules by client ID, computer name, user name, and IP address or IP range. Maximum number of sessions per client can be specified.
- Waiting lists: In case the maximum license number is exceeded, the server program manages a waiting list. The client receives a message with its number in the waiting queue, and the application software pops up as soon as its license becomes available.
- Time-out: The idle time of each user is recorded by the server program. A time-out for inactive licenses can be specified: in case there is a waiting list, a client for which the idle time exceeds the time-out value will lose its license in favor of the first in the waiting list.
- Maximum usage limit: The usage time by each client is recorded by the server program. A maximum usage time can be specified: in case there is a waiting list, a client for which the usage time exceeds the maximum usage time will loose its license in favor of the first in the waiting list.
- Messaging: The server can send messages to any or all active clients, for example in case the server will be shut down or if a client will be disconnected.
- Usage statistics: The server program records every usage of each client. This allows the global load of the network application and the relative usage of each client computer to be calculated for any time interval.
Software-based protection keys
As an alternative for a hardware security key, our network licenses can optionally be equipped with a software-based Sentinel HASP protection key. The latter allows the NetKey+ license server program to run on a computer that is not equipped with a free physical USB port, e.g. on a virtualized operating system lacking a network-attached USB hub.
Our network licensing solutions are available for any number of licenses. Contact us for a quote.